Security forces commander at Air Force ICBM base relieved following investigation
Officials with Air Force Global Strike Command’s 90th Missile Wing announced Monday that Col. Damian Schlussel, commander of the 90th Security Forces Group, relieved Lt. Col. Nicholas Petren, head of the 90th SFS, “due to a loss of confidence” in his leadership.
Petren assumed the role in July 2018, according to the service.
Terry Higgins, a public affairs specialist with the 90th Missile Wing, said there had been an investigation into Petren, as ordered by Schlussel. Higgins could not discuss the nature of the investigation but said it concluded Sept. 9.
“The Air Force values and encourages a positive work atmosphere where all airmen are treated with dignity and respect and cannot condone leadership actions that do not uphold these ideals,” officials said in a news release. “A temporary commander has been appointed until a permanent replacement is in place.”
Petren has been temporarily reassigned at the base “until he is due to rotate to another duty location,” the release adds.
The squadron is responsible for base law enforcement, manning gates and guarding high-priority areas, including 15 missile alert facilities and 150 Minuteman III Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles (ICBMs). F. E. Warren became the U.S.’ first operational ICBM base in 1958.
Read more here:: Task & Purpose