More Families Are Suing The Air Force For Negligence In The 2017 Texas Church Shooting
Two additional families who lost loved ones in the Sutherland Springs massacre last year are suing the U.S. Air Force for negligence, doubling the number of legal challenges the government is facing over the mass shooting.
The Johnson and McNulty families filed their lawsuits this week. The Air Force admitted it failed to report veteran Devin P. Kelley’s past crimes to the federal database, the suits state, which allowed him to pass a background check and obtain the firearms he used in the shooting.
<!– This site is converting visitors into subscribers and customers with OptinMonster – https://optinmonster.com :: Campaign Title: Inline_Generic_with_HP –>
These two families filed negligence claims earlier this year and then were required to give the government six months to try to respond. Attorney Jamal Alsaffar said his clients got “nothing more than a cursory response” in that time, so they decided to sue once the deadline hit.
“The government has done nothing, literally nothing, to resolve the claims or help the families,” Alsaffar told The Dallas Morning News on Thursday. “That’s why we had to fill the lawsuits because there was no effort made.”
On Nov. 5, Kelley shot and killed 26 parishioners — including a pregnant woman — who were attending Sunday services at the First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs. Among the victims were Tara McNulty, 33, a mother of two, and Sara, 68, and Dennis Johnson, Sr., 77.
Two other families sued the federal government earlier this year. Margarette Vidal, who survived after being shot in the knee and next to her spine, and Joe and Claryce Holcombe, who lost nine family members in the massacre. Their lawsuits have been consolidated, …read more
Read more here:: Task & Purpose