Do You Think Logistics Is Boring? Here’s 14 Reasons You’re Dead Wrong
This reading list is excerpted, with permission, from the smart website “Logistics in War”:
- From Clausewitz, On War, the strategist will learn how logistics determines the ‘form or factor’ of operations.
- From Jomini, The Art of War, the commander will see how logistics is the ‘means and arrangements which work out the plans of strategy and tactics’.
- From Thorpe, Pure logistics, the commander will see way in which logistics ‘sets the stage’ for operations.
- From Eccles, Logistics in the national defense, the strategic logistician will learn of the processes of connecting the economy to the battlefield. The operational commander will learn that logistics requires control and oversight for it to be efficient and effective.
- From Magruder, Recurring logistics problems as I have observed them, the tactical commander will be shown the importance of well-trained logistics troops, and that time is won in conflict by having effective advance / forward logistics early.
- From Van Creveld, Supplying War, you will be persuaded that strategy is second to logistics in modern war. However, because militaries rarely plan on this basis, logistics often seems ‘an overcoming of a series of difficulties’.
- From Lynn, Feeding Mars; Thompson, Lifeblood of War, the operational and tactical commander will learn how contextual logistics is, and the need for adaptation in battle.
- From Huston, Sinews of War, the tactical and operational commander or logistician will learn of major principles of logistics as it applies to delivering ‘firepower or shock’, based upon a comprehensive study of centuries of conflict. Pagonis, Moving Mountains is a natural complement.
- From Macksey, For want of a nail, the commander and logistician will learn of the expansion of the ‘tail’ as compared to the ‘tooth’ with new technologies, and that logistics is fundamentally about affecting mobility (and thus time and space).
- From Tuttle, Defense logistics for the 21st century, the logistician will learn …read more
Read more here:: Task & Purpose